Advertisement

Boabom & Seamm Jasani

topic posted Mon, January 2, 2006 - 9:41 PM by  nney
Share/Save/Bookmark
Does anybody knows anything about Boabom and/or Seamm Jasani, I just got a book called "The Secret Art of Seamm Jasani : 58 Movements for Eternal Youth from Ancient Tibet" by Asanaro.
I am very, very interested on this topic, any light?
Thank you!
posted by:
nney
Mexico
Advertisement
  • are they anything like the 5 tibetans?
    • Hi DangerAngel,

Taken from the site www.10ac.com/five_tibetans_book.htm
      About 5 tibetans (I didn't know about the 5 tibetans):
      In the beginning of the original book, upon which the Five Tibetans is based, The Ancient Secrets of the Fountain of Youth (originally written over seventy years ago, by Peter Kelder and also entitled The Eye of Revelation), we can read a series of testimonials where people report: more energy, increase in strength and endurance, gray hair turning back to its original color, vision improvement, arthritis relief, better memory, younger look, weight loss, and more extraordinary rejuvenation. People claim to “look ten years younger,” and to have “never felt better.”

From the Boabom School in Boston: bostonboabom.com/pags/gentle.html
      About Seamm-Jasani, the gentle form of Boabom:
      This Art consists of slow and fluid movements, designed
      to improve coordination and to build an equilibrium
      between body and mind. This Art has been described in
      Sanskrit as “Alayavijnana”, or the Art of Eternal Youth,
      as its practice increases health, mental vitality,
      and longevity, as well as helping to combat depression.

It may be that the 5 tibetans come from Seamm-Jasani? For what I've read, Seamm-Jasani has a lot of movements, the book I got has only 58.

Now, Boabom (Seamm-Jasani comes from Boabom)
      Boabom is an ancient Tibetan Art designed to develop Vitality and Internal Energy: the Body and the Mind, together in Meditation through Movements of Balance, Defense, Self-Healing, and Relaxation. Boabom provides quick relief from stress and improves the student's focus, confidence, and both physical condition and mental well-being.

The roots of the Arts of Boabom are lost in time, though we can identify their origins in ancient Bod, or Peuyul, a very peculiar region of the Himalayas, thousands of years ago--before the beginning of our Yuga.

The teachings of the School say that their Arts were not meant for everyone. It was not intended that they would be dispersed to everyone, instead they were to be treated more like a family heirloom. In a certain way, they still are. These teachings have no specific country or race of origin, instead they belong to a way of life, a current of thought passed down through the millennia.

...These teachings never formed a hierarchical religion, instead focusing on equilibrium, on valuing oneself, and on being oneself in a healthy and natural way, developed through an understanding of one's own potential.

There is not much info about it on the web, I am digging on the libraries.

ioui.
  • Unsu...

i am a student at the Boston School of Boabom [www.bostonboabom.com].

i have been studying the Boabom arts for about nine months.

what would you like to know about Seamm-Jasani?
    • Unsu...

Hello,
      I'm not sure if I would have anything more to offer than ryn, however I am also a student of Seamm-Jasani and have just started with Boabom. Let me know if I can answer any questions too.

kirsa
    • Hi Ryn,
      I have been using the Seamm-Jasani book for awhile now, and there is a lot of good stuff in it. Asanaro seems to say that there are actually thousands of movements in the system, and the book is just a sample. Does that mean that most any movement, done with a Seamm-Jasani mindset (coordinate breathing, imagination and action) is possibly a Seamm-Jasani movement? In other words, is the magic in the movement, or the mindset?
      • Unsu...

if that kind of idea emerges from the Boabom teachings, it does so at a level i haven't yet encountered, but i would be disinclined to think it's the case; the movements of the art are very detailed and have their own internal consistency. you're right to recognize that the motion of the mind is as important as that of the body, but the reverse holds as strongly; the relationship between the two is balanced, so neither takes precedence.

let me add that the movements covered in the Seamm-Jasani book comprise only a very small portion of the first stage of the teaching, and there are many stages beyond the first, so the reference to "thousands of movements" can be taken quite literally.
        • Thanks for the reply! Now, to go just a little deeper....
          The "first art" consists of basic calestenics and some TaiChi movements isolated from their form (They may well be the precoursor to TaiChi, if Asanaro is correct about how old S-J is). The "second art" is the forms of S-J.
          What about other calestenics, can they be substituted for the warm-up of the first art, or not? Is the point to warm you up, or is there more depth to the first art than it seems?
          • Unsu...

i imagine that alternative forms of calisthenics could be used to warm your body up, but my impressions indicate the warmups are done as they are because they focus on aspects of the body which are important to the movements of the art proper. as a relatively low-level student, i'm not in a position to know if there's more to it than that.
            • Unsu...

i prefer the eating of rubbish and wallowing in fesces methods and drug and alchohol techniques of naropa my self. they are very advanced and most people just take you for a mad man, or a bum...little do they know..... your working for the benifit of all ssentient beings!
              : )
            • Thanks for the help, Ryn. One more question and I will shut up.
              When doing the forms, should you hold tension in your arms, or just move them? The one movement where you push your arms out at the side and Asanaro says to push them "like you were pushing walls apart" is what gives rise to this question. Does he mean to push with tension, or not?
              Thanks!
              • Unsu...

you don't want to hold tension in your muscles while executing the movements. there are a couple of warm-ups, not covered in the book, that involve building, holding, and releasing tension in the body--but these are done to raise your awareness of how it feels to be tensed, with an eye towards learning to release tension that arises involuntarily.
                • I trained in Systema for awhile, and it was like that also. Lots of drills to learn how to release tension so that you could be loose while fighting. I agree with some of it. At one time I studied under a Chinese master. His instructions were about the best I ever heard.

He said "For real fighting you need four things: Courage, strength, speed, and techniques. In that order."

Having been in a few real fights I tend to agree with him.

have you been introduced to the Boabom self-defence yet?
                  • This is the maximum depth. Additional responses will not be threaded.
                    Unsu...

i might quibble about the order of the last few elements, but that aphorism makes sense to me.

i've been taking the Boabom classes longer than i have the Seamm-Jasani, actually.
                    • What is it like? Have you done other stuff that you can compare it to? The pictures on the book make it look like tai chi, but that's a long shot I'm sure. Is it striking, jointlocking, etc? I'm interested.
                      • Unsu...

Boabom

04/20
                        we practice stances, strikes, blocks, kicks, reactions to strikes and grabs, short and long sequences of movements, and in general all that which is usually done in a martial arts course. as in Seamm-Jasani instruction, new movements are learned each class, and after a time, they are put aside to make room for new ones. the stages so delineated shift their focus over time, starting with basic and linear movements, then broad and circular, ovaline, angular, and onwards. breathing is well-defined for each movement and sequence. always the emphasis is on quick reaction, lightness and agility, and harmony between body and mind.

there is a forthcoming book about Boabom which explains more about the art, its principles, and its progressions.
                        • Re: Boabom

04/28
                          Hello everybody!

The question I had originally was about Boabom. I do Yoga and I really enjoy it, but I wanted to find something that would be more "fluid" like faster, and it was very important to find something that will help me to build strength, for self defense; and even more important to find an activity that would increase awareness and the unity of awareness, mind and body (though any activity done mindfully would increase awareness, thus mental strenght which is certainly good for self defense)
                          So I've been trying Capoeira. But I enjoy very much reading about Buddhism, Tibetan and Japanesse specially; and lately, I have been reading-living Dzogchen; so when I read about Boabom I was very, very happy, though I soon learned that there are very few schools, but it is ok, I think I will be able to study Boabom in some years. So my question was, it seems to me that SJ is more to chill out, it is very good as an awareness unifier tool; but Boabom, I was hoping-wishing Boabom to be like an "activity with levels", were you can use the relaxation techniques and increase awareness but also, being able to train for a more radical self defense... Uff, did I make sense? Anyhow, I guess my question has been kind of answered above, but Krisa, I would love to have the opinion of a woman! though ryn's opinion would be highly appreciated too! And guys, english is not my first language so, thanks for the patience! And thanks chuck, for bringing this thread to life, gracias!

karla
                          • Unsu...

Re: Boabom

05/02
                            you did make sense, and from what i can tell, Boabom sounds like a good fit for what you're seeking. finding a teacher may prove a challenge, though!

i should point out that Boabom is not a Buddhist martial art; it is said to originate before Buddhism came to that area of the world.

05/09
                              Is what I read, that Boabom has conection with the Bon tradition; which is kind of like that with rdzogs chen or Dzogchen, wait, this is a Dzogchen tribe! I forgot! and that is why I posted here and not in the Buddhism tribe, interesting...
                              Regarding Boabom, it sounds like something I would really like to do, eventually; I may even travel somewhere to learn (in a few years though).
                              What kind of got me though is that I lived in Boston for a whole year on 2003, but I didn't know about the school until last year... I guess I was not ready. I will.
                              Thank you very much for your comments ryn.

12/26
                                Hey guys my names sonny, I live in LA and I was just curious do you per chance know anyone that teach's boabom out here. Iv studied all the martial art forms and the one that calls me the most is boabom. Iv searched the Internet high and low and nothings coming up so I thought I would give it a shot and ask you guys. And if You don't know but have any other good ideas I'm open to suggestions.... Thanks a lot!

Recent topics in "Bon pre-Buddhist shamanism & Dzogchen"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Don't Panic: End of a World Age. Unsubscribed 0 September 6, 2012
Colorado Chamma Ling mountain retreat Oct 19-21 2012 teala 0 August 26, 2012
I need help with Ritual Abuse Jaime 3 December 23, 2011
Hello 347 members! Unsubscribed 1 December 13, 2011